Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tis' the Season

So who went to church this weekend?

I just did a mental tally of how much we spend on Christmas gifts every year. We buy for our parents (4 = $100.00), our kids (3 = $400.00), nieces/nephews (5 = $125.00) and each other ($200.00). Christmas tree ($50), extra food over the Christmas season (I'm gonna be generous here and say $200.00), teachers gifts (we bake so that's included in the food surplus), Christmas cards/pictures inserted/postage ($100.00 - might be over here, might be under, depends on whether or not your pics are professional and how big your list is) and there may be travel expenses for some of you (we stay home). Oh, and there is also Ryan's sister/husband and my brother/wife - thankfully we decided to just buy for the kids last year.

So I suck at math (seriously, I had a tutor all through grade 12 (once a week ALL year) and I still barely passed) but I do know how to use a calculator. Take a good look at the number below:

$1075.00

Let's think about this... say we downsize that number to average $800.00 on the off chance that I over estimated in a few areas and some of you spend more or less. Now let's take a look at our MOM's group. I just talked to Rachel and she thinks we have about 48 Moms... I'm not sure of the exact number myself but let's go with 45.

$36,000.00

I'm the first one to admit that I don't know everything... but I do know that we (we being my husband and I) can't afford Christmas but every year we spend the money.

So let's get back to the service at Church this weekend. It made me sad and it made me think. Before I started blogging I went to the Hands at Work in Africa website just out of curiosity (well, not totally out of curiosity cause I wanted to tell you something in this post).

$180.00

That is how much it costs to provide one child with basic healthcare, food security and education for one year. My first thought? I can't afford to give away $180.00. That's 3 sets of swim lessons, 3 months of Taekwondo and a whole season of Rhythmic Gymnastics. It's groceries for a week, gas for 3 weeks, RRSP's for 3 months... anyone else thinking the same things?

BUT... what if I spend $10 less on each parent, $5.00 less on nieces/nephews, send out an e-card instead of mailing cards, buy one less gift for each of my children and spend $50 less on Christmas treats?

$240.00

I'm going to be generous and average that number out at $200.00. Multiple that by the 45 Mom's in our group every Tuesday morning.

$9000.00
$180.00 per child.
You do the math.






1 comment:

MOMS Ministry Team said...

Wow Shauna, thank you for opening our eyes to those numbers. It amazes me how much we spend/waste in our 'little world'. I really enjoyed the service this weekend, listening to the stories of Africa...it truely helps me to appreciate what I have been blessed with. I am looking forward to the coming Christmas season... I know for me and my family, we are going to do things a bit differently this year!

~Helen Vander Kooi